Friday 11 March 2011

Thing 20 - Wikid wikis

old style wiki by teemow
I have a love/hate reaction to Wikipedia (similar to most people I think), in that it is brilliant resource for quick information but not entirely reliable. And though I have been frustrated by the wrong information I have found over the years, until now I have never thought to edit the entry to make it correct.

So this Thing has encouraged me to actually participate in Wikipedia rather than passively view it, and it has made me think about it in a different way. The fact that I could share my knowledge with others to help their searches is something that I find makes Wikipedia more interesting to me (though I still don't trust it!), and something I will definitely think of doing in the future. And for some reason I thought that the process of editing would not be open to me (that I'd have to register) and that it would be very complicated, so I was very pleasantly surprised by how easy it was! For this Thing I have edited the wikipedia entry on the fabulous artist George Shaw, and included as a link on the entry a link to a very recent interview he did with the Guardian.

I did not join the UK Library Blogs wiki as I don't feel that this blog yet would be of any interest to other people outside of this 23 Things group. However if I do keep using this blog afterwards, I may join it at a later date. I can also see the library-based wikis as being really helpful in my professional course, so I have bookmarked them for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment